Vision affects learning. Vision is much more than seeing 20/20. Did you know that there are over 17 visual skills involved in learning and the ability to see clearly at distance is just one of those measurements?
Has your child's vision been evaluated comprehensively? If your child is struggling in school, allow us to ensure that their visual skills are not impeding their potential. Contact us today for an appointment and let us help you and your child!
If these skills are inefficient then it can have a negative impact on the visual process and can cause difficulty with not just learning but in sports, the workplace and other areas of life. If you or your child are suspected of or has been diagnosed with Dyslexia there may be a visual component that could contribute to the reading difficulties. Recent research has discovered specific areas of the brain dedicated to recognizing words that is fed from the visual parts of the brain.
There have been textbooks dedicated to this subject and the American Optometric Association has published a clinical practice guideline which direct Optometrists on the comprehensive treatment of the child with vision and learning difficulties which can be accessed here.
For more information please visit: The Vision and Learning Project
If you are concerned about your child's learning and had an eye examination but it did not include the evaluations listed below then contact us for an appointment today!
The visual skills are important in order for efficient learning to take place.
- Adequate Eye Sight at distance
- Adequate Eye Sight at near
- Adequate Eye Teaming Abilities-Binocular Vision
- Convergence ability/flexibility, at near and far
- Divergence ability/flexibility, at near and far
- Convergence/Accommodation Integration
- Sensory fusion
- Adequate Focusing Abilities-Accommodation
- Accommodative Amplitude
- Accommodative Flexibility
- Accurate accommodative response
- Accommodation/Convergence Integration
- Adequate Eye Movement Abilities-Oculomotor Skills
- Normal fixation ability
- Efficient saccadic abilities-eye movements when reading
- Efficient pursuit eye movements-the ability to follow a moving object